‘Tis the season…for taxes.
As W-2s begin coming in and you begin to think about filing your taxes, here’s some information that can help.
The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free Federal and State tax preparation services to those with an income below $51,000.
Through the program, IRS-certified volunteers provide basic tax services to qualified individuals within their local communities. These volunteers can provide information about special tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools and other convenient locations, and you can find one near you here.
To have your taxes prepared at a VITA site you will need:
- Photo ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and/or any dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and/or any dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
If you are, or plan to be a student during 2014, you will use your tax return information to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You should file your FAFSA directly with the U.S. Department of Education, and you should NEVER pay to file your FAFSA. Priority status is given to those who submit their FAFSA by Feb. 1.
For more information about student financial aid at ETSU, please visit The Office of Financial Aid online or call 423.439.4300.
Other helpful links for students or potential students at ETSU: